31 December 2014

RIS2014 and I am Working on a Paper for the RCMP

I attended a few sessions at RIS 2014.  Some over arching themes were:

1) Greater inclusion of differing views on Islam.

2) Love of country whether by birth or immigration.

3) A great deal of outreach to the youth and keeping them conversational and engaged.

4) Discussions about addressing Islamophobia.

5) Discussions about addressing extremism within Muslim communities.

6) And the launch of a peace Initiative.

7) In the sessions that I attended I did not hear specifically reaching out to LGBTQI Muslims.

8) In one of the sessions that I attended there was the defining of marriage as specifically between a man and a woman.

9)The RCMP had a booth at the convention and at one point I noted that the booth was staffed by three (3) women officers.  I spoke with one of the officers and noted that she was extremely willing to discuss the ways in which the RCMP seeks to reach out to various communities in Canada.


I am working on an unsolicited paper to submit to the RCMP on what I perceive are some of the security dynamics in Canada. It will be through a feminist perspective.  I will not post that paper here, but I will note when it has been submitted.

Thank you.

-Debra V. Wilson 


    

No comments:

Post a Comment