10 December 2014

NYT:Today's Headlines: Panel Faults C.I.A. Over Brutality and Deceit in Interrogations

Top News
George J. Tenet, left, was director of the Central Intelligence Agency when the brutal tactics began. The report said he misled President George W. Bush.
Panel Faults C.I.A. Over Brutality and Deceit in Interrogations

By MARK MAZZETTI

The scathing report, which took five years to produce, is a sweeping indictment of the C.I.A. interrogation program carried out in secret prisons after the Sept. 11 attacks.
. Documents  Read the Report
. Graphic  Graphic: A History of the C.I.A.'s Secret Interrogation Program
. Video  Video: A Decade-Long Debate Over Torture
Report Portrays a Broken C.I.A. Devoted to a Failed Approach

By SCOTT SHANE

The report paints a devastating picture of an agency that was ill equipped to question terrorism suspects, bungled the job and misrepresented the results.
George J. Tenet, center, the director of the C.I.A., in March 2003 with President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney.
Senate Report Rejects Claim on Hunt for Bin Laden

By CHARLIE SAVAGE and JAMES RISEN

The Senate Intelligence Committee report on C.I.A. torture disputes the notion that the agency would not have found Osama bin Laden if it had not tortured detainees.

Editors' Picks

WORLD

Graphic GRAPHIC: Does Torture Work? The C.I.A.'s Claims and What the Committee Found
The report undercut the C.I.A.'s claims that its tactics thwarted plots and led to the capture of terrorists.

OPINION | OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR

I Can't Be Forgiven for Abu Ghraib

By ERIC FAIR

As a former interrogator in Iraq, I was not surprised by the torture report.

World
Senator Saxby Chambliss and five other Republicans released a dissent to the main report.
After Senate Report's Release, Political Divide About C.I.A. Torture Remains

By SCOTT SHANE

The agency stood by its longstanding view that tactics such as waterboarding and sleep deprivation had helped disrupt terrorist plots.
Overseas, Torture Report Prompts Calls for Prosecution

By RICK GLADSTONE and ROBERT MACKEY

Jihadist web postings called for retaliation, and the United States warned citizens in Thailand and Afghanistan about hostile reactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment